Saturday, September 24, 2011

You know you are old when...

...you now attend weddings as one of the principal sponsors. Not as the maid of honor. Not as the bridesmaid. But as THE ninang.


So the Hubby called me last week to warn me that a wedding invitation was coming my way. And the two us were principal sponsors. Why me? I don't even know the couple to be wed, I asked. It's a Mr. and Mrs. thingie, so you are technically included, he said. Panic! What will I wear? What is the motif? Do I have to put up my hair ala-Imelda?


Actually, this wasn't the first time I was asked to be a sponsor. My colleague and friend at Ginebra San Miguel, Ingrid, also asked me to be her wedding ninang a few years ago. Of course I had to say yes. They say it's bad luck to refuse. It worked out well since I was very close to the bride. The second time was to our long-time yaya. But I wasn't able to attend her wedding since she got married in Davao, and I was already in Bacolod.
Pers taym ninang, 7 or so years ago. Hindi naman ako mukhang hapi?


Anyway, I heaved a big sigh of relief when I saw the invitation. I was not one of the entourage after all, only the Hubby was in the list. Hay, teynk you, Lord! The outfit wouldn't be a problem anymore since I'd be coming in as a plain guest only.


But the Hubby was insistent (daw oh!)  to look for a dress for me just the same. So the Daughter and he went on a window shopping/photo session/image messaging spree in search for a wedding guest dress. And here were their choices:


My text reply: Hindi kaya mukha akong a-attend ng board meeting nyan?


My text reply: Animal prints in the church? Too risque!!

My text reply: Parang pampiknik!

Issa: Andami mong reklamo, mom! Eto na lang kaya ang isuot mo?
My text reply: Hehehe! I know that the shirt is for you, gurl. 
But hey, do you even know who John Lennon was?

My text reply: Finally! I lurv et!
Issa to the Promod sales clerk: Ms, may size 6 pa kayo nito?
Sales clerk: Sorry, ma'am, pero last size na po yang size 12.
My text reply: Kainezzzzz!!!!

So after a whole afternoon of the Hubby and the Daughter searching through racks and racks of clothes, they finally gave up. Nahiya na rin ako sa kanila. Ha ha. So I just told them that I'd just settle for something old from my own rack.

And so according to the legendary words of Mudra Ricky Reyes...here is the final 'product':




Hindi naman ako masyadong mukhang ninang?

No comments:

Post a Comment