Saturday, June 4, 2011

10 Things I Learned About Shingles

I miss my shingles-less hand!
Mossimo Polo
Promod Inner Spag
Maldita Leggings
Aaah..shingles.

Normally, when I go to the doctor for whatever reason it may be, I am well-prepared for the symptoms he’s going to ask, and the questions I’m going to ask back. I research first, if I can, so that I won’t be as ignorant to the illness I’m consulting the doctor with. I’m usually equipped with the scientific terms so I won’t get lost in translation when they utter latin-sounding words. It’s a way of not being afraid of what he is about to tell me. There was even one time when I brought my son to a pediatrician about some swelling, and in the course of our consultation, he asked me if I was a nurse. I sheepishly replied that I’m not, just a concerned eager beaver mother.

Anyway, before I went to the dermatologist last Wednesday, I researched again on what skin disease I have. I must have missed the shingles, because I was really taken aback when the doctor said that what I have is contagious and needs at least two weeks of isolation. W-w-what, Doctor? T-t-two weeks of no going out? WTH!!


So this is my post-consultation discovery of this pesky disease called The Shingles.

1.       Shingles is very painful, as in non-stop throbbing and pulsing on the blisters and rashes. The varicella zoster virus attacks on the nerves, so it aches from the inside of the skin, and itches from the outside. Perfectly irritating. Like I told my sister Ben, I wouldn’t want to wish it to anyone I know, not even to my worst enemy.

2.      Shingles is the older sister of chickenpox. The chickenpox virus which can lay inactive in our nerves for years, can be awakened when the immunity in our body is compromised and becomes weak, like too much stress, trauma, old age, or if you are under drugs which suppress your immunosystem. I’m guessing my immune system became weak with too strenuous exercise, travelling, plus lack of sleep.

3.      Only those who had chickenpox when they were young are susceptible to have shingles. And I thought I was free of the chickenpox since I had it when I was 8 years old. Was I wrong.

4.      The shingles virus is NOT airborne, unlike chickenpox. One can only get the virus if he has come in direct contact with the fluid draining from the sores, which is on its third stage. It is important not to scratch the rashes and blisters so as not to spread it. Eeew, I know! So I cover my arm with gauze so as not to unknowingly spread the ‘love’.

My shingled hand
5.      It is only contagious to people who have not had chickenpox, or do not have immunization against chickenpox. If they get it, they will not be sick of shingles, but of chickenpox. Thank God my kids had vaccine when they were kids. Oops, the Youngest just had his vaccine last year before going to PhilSci. Buti na lang!

6.      So someone who previously had chickenpox CANNOT contract shingles  easily from a person who is infected. Unless, of course you insist to be intimate with that person! No kissing the Hubby and the Kiddos…that's  makes it so sad for me!


7.      Shingles only manifests on one side of the body in a band-like area or stripes. Unlike its sister, it does not spread to other parts of the body. I’m luckier in a way because I just got it on my right arm. Others were not as fortunate because they got it on their faces and body. My sister’s friend Maryrose got it on her left eye too. It’s good that she has recovered with no complications.


8.     There is no cure for shingles. Like chickenpox, you just have to wait for it to take its own course. But of course, conventional treatments like antiviral drugs, painkillers, and antibiotic topical medicine are prescribed to shorten its life span, relieve the pain that goes with it, and prevent more pain and complications post-shingles. May I say that the antiviral drug prescribed to me was expensive! Php110 per tablet of 800mg, times 35 tablets.  And that’s just one medicine. Plus the ibuprofen, vitamin supplements, and topical ointment that I should religiously take--I don’t want to think about how much I spent in just a few days.


9.      Although the shingles rash can heal in two to four weeks, postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) or persistent pain in the nerves can linger months or even years after the shingles has gone. Studies show that starting the antiviral therapy within 48 to 72 hours reduces the risk of lasting pain or PHN. I went to my doctor on the 4th day that I had the symptoms so I’m a little bit worried here. Hopefully, I won’t experience the nerve pain after every wretched rash has left my skin.


10.  Two out of ten people who had chickenpox is prone to have shingles. The good news is that once you had it, that’s the last time you will ever see it again. Yay for me?


Day 4 in my Shingles Prison


No comments:

Post a Comment