Friday, June 3, 2011

Mother Dearest

It's Mama's birthday today. She turns 73 and I still want to think of her as young and invincible.

I'm a mother too, but I don't think I have given as much sacrifice to my family as my mother had done for us, five kids. She's what you call a traditional housewife. She did almost everything by herself in keeping the house and tending to us kids. My father never allowed her to find a job, although he knew he couldn't well afford to pay for all our needs, let alone send us all to college. So my mother tried to help out in our daily expenses by selling everything and anything. Direct selling was invented by my mother. You name it, she had peddled it house-to-house--from AVON, RTW clothes, tocino, alahas, life insurance, educational and memorial plan, even pork meat. I cannot forget that image of her going to Pasay market at 4:00 am on weekends, buying about 20 kilos of pork, and knocking on our neighbors' doors, balancing the heavy meat on both her hands to sell and profit a measly income. Now, whenever she feels her arthritis pulling her joints and muscles, she blames those ol' days of selling.

She has survived almost everything. A rocky marriage. Financial rock bottom. Breast cancer. In spite of all these challenges, she has remained steadfast in her belief in God and in her family. Now she is a picture of wisdom, contentment, and purity. Oh yes, she complains once in a while, but you know she does that because she knows she has still a lot to offer to her family—her presence, her counsel, her love.

We love you so much, Mother! Gift to follow;-) Mwah!

I will forever be her baby




P.S. Day 3 in Shingles Prison..pain..pain..itch...itch..pain:-(  
 How come my dermatologist forgot to mention
that it would be THIS excruciatingly painful?

No comments:

Post a Comment