Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lambert and Cook

And the American Idol is…Scoty McCreery. Yes, America has finally decided, but I think no one is excited in this part of the globe.

After Season 10’s dust has settled, I can still say that my most fave idols are still Adam Lambert and David Cook. Their performances on the Idol stage had brought me goosebumps and heart attack and all kinds of emotion, which the other contestants have not topped. They mesmerized the world with every single performance they had. They hypnotized me in watching their songs on Youtube a thousand times. Up to now, no one has ever surpassed the level of excitement they both gave to American Idol.

So to give homage to my American Idols (although I’m not in any way American), here are the most memorable Idol performances of Adam Lambert (Season 8) and David Cook (Season 7). Note that the new winner doesn't even have a memorable performance like these two. Watch and learn, future AI wannabes. Watch and learn.


14. Feeling Good - Adam Lambert. He is not only a most awesome singer, but an intelligent performer as well. Everything fits to the song when he performed--his costume, his facial expressions, his actions. I felt really good when I heard him sing this. And the high notes! 'Nuff said.






13. If I Can't Have You - Adam Lambert. He turned this disco song into a heart-wrenching ballad. And it worked. I know he's high on the gaydar, but this Glambert is sexeeehhh to girls and boys alike!


12. One - Adam Lambert. If one could sing a U2 song like this emotional and believe in him and want to donate all your stashed money to him, then I think he deserved my attention, okay, and my love.



11. Cryin' - Adam Lambert. Seriously, how could the Americans have not chosen him for the winner? No offense to Kris Allen (Kris who?).



10. I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing- David Cook. The best Aerosmith cover on AI. Mere mortals tried to sing this, but only David Cook made it look effortless.


9. A Whole Lotta Love - Adam Lambert. I'm not into heavy metal Led Zep kinda thing, but when an artist gives this kind of performance, you can't help but be wowed by the level of his talent. Ballad, rock, metal, pop, broadway-ish. Is there a thing this guy can't do?



8. Eleanor Rigby - David Cook. He made a Beatles song sound cool and modern. And his glory notes are not ear-splitting at all. John Lennon must be clapping in his grave when the Cook performed this.



7. Play that Funky Music- Adam Lambert. In that Season, everybody only waited for his performance. The others didn't matter. Last week, he sang a ballad, while this week, he would dance it out. And how come he didn't look stupid dancing like that? He actually looked sexy.



6. Billie Jean - David Cook. Cook showed that the Great Gloved one's song could be interpreted in a different way, and yet be cool. Hitting the notes spot on, at his point in the season, there was nothing he could do wrong.



5. Tracks of My Tears - Adam Lambert. This was when I realized that he didn't only sing with emotions, but he intelligently tackled his song to give out the pure, raw emotion that each performance needs. Note that he asked the writer, Smokey Robinson what motivated the latter to write the song, and that's what he used as basis of his interpretation.



4. Always Be My Baby - David Cook. I repeatedly watched this on Youtube for countless times, trying to absorb his talent. It's like the song was his, not by Mariah. He owned it 100%.


3. Black or White - Adam Lambert. This was quite a memorable performance because this was the week where his "closet" was opened for all the world to see and criticize. But he made everyone forget that he's not your traditional guy, and kicked all his detractors in the face with his confidence and awesome singing. Take that, gayphobes!



2. Hello - David Cook. This was the performance that made everybody stop and listen to David Cook. And AI became a karaoke show no more.



1. Mad World - Adam Lambert. Goosebumps, goosebumps. The dramatics, plus the intricate nuances in his interpretation made this the most beautiful performance on American Idol. Ever. And this was the only time in the AI history that Simon Cowell gave a standing ovation. So who are we to contradict?


In my heart Adam Lambert has been the best performer who ever graced American Idol (It's not that obvious, is it?). Did you see how he thanked everyone after every amazing performance of his? An artist and a true gentle..er..person.

Please excuse me as I meet Lambert in my dreams tonight. Okay, Cook, you could tag along too;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment