Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Letters and Poetry

I had always been a sucker for letters and poetry. I had a soft spot for suitors (with an 'S'?) from the old past who could write mean love notes. I used to collect these love mails, kept them beside my bed, and re-read them hundreds and hundreds of times. (Of course, I also wrote back). I kept a diary where I could express myself through poems and drawings of sunset, and seas, and lots and lots of hearts. A long time ago, this was how we, young, hopeless romantics, poured our emotions—through pen and paper.

But I guess in this day and age, love letters, and poems, and romantic stuff have been slowly fading away. The young ones brandish their cell phones to ask a girl for a date. They shout out their feelings through a short FB post. And how to dump a boyfriend? Why, text him, of course. Or write him an email. Whichever gadget is more convenient for you at the moment.

Gone are the flowery words that tickled our hearts. Gone are the bursts of poetry that inspired our days. Gone is the thrill of opening a scented envelope, and the anticipation of reading the sender's message, and finding THE three most-sought after words.

Where art thou, Romeo?


An almost forgotten favorite poem of mine:

No comments:

Post a Comment