Monday, June 6, 2011

My Comfort Food

Now that I'm sick and the Hubby, the Daughter, and the Youngest have hopped out of Bacolod, all I can do is eat, sleep, and face my computer. But mostly, I want to eat. Not only because I need to get all the nutrients to recover from shingles, but also because I crave for scrumptious food that remind me of happiness and comfort and childhood. So here are some of the stuffs I want to put in my belly while I suffer in silence in my Shingles Prison.

1.       Tocino – Specifically the tocino my mom’s sister, Tita Sally, used to make. Oh, she could concoct a mean tocino which when cooked produced a sweet oily sauce. Then, the sisters would put the tocino on our steaming rice. Sauce pa lang, ulam na!

2.       Dencia’s Lugaw – It’s a sick person’s must-go-to (get it? GOTO? er, never mind!) food. Although Dencia’s Lugaw with tokwa’t baboy puts it up on a higher level and makes even healthy people’s mouth water. Now who would fly to Davao to buy me a bowl of lugaw?

When I go back to Davao,
my first meal would be at Dencia's
What's in this simple bowl of congee
that makes anyone feel better?



3.      Indian Mango – We have a big mango tree in Las Pinas which bears this sweet Indian mangoes, especially during summer. When we were small, we used to climb this mango tree and harvest as many as we could eat, and share them with our friends.

      Last April, I was able to taste again our mangoes while I was chatting up with my sisters. Sarap ng kwentuhan!!!



4.       Bangkok Santol – My Daughter will be quick to snap, “My mom can eat 10 Bangkok santols in one sitting!” Yup, my favourite fruit of all time--the large, sweet seeds of this fruit.



5.       Krispy Kreme–If I were to break my diet forever, I would happily do it by wallowing in a sugar-induced dessert in the form of Krispy Kreme. Nothing beats its original glazed melt-in-your-mouth doughnut. The other flavors are a delight on the taste buds too.

krispykreme.com.ph


6.       Bob’s New York Cheesecake or Bob’s chocolate cake – Cakes are a gift to a woman’s emotional rollercoaster. It usually brings me up to my peak—no question about that. And at this point, I need it everyday in this Shingles Prison.
If in Bacolod, anything Bob's is good enough



7.       Pringles – Those thin, crunchy strips of potatoes can never go wrong for a shingled, blog addict like me. Not checking the weighing scale whatsoever this time.

Bought from S&R Cebu, and left for me to devour 'em all. Mwahahaha!!! 


8.       Sharyn’s Kansi  – If you are in Bacolod, you should try Sharyn’s famous bulalo. Its clear soup is flavored with batuan, a local pampaasim, and the beef is boiled all day to produce that soft meat. God knows how much cholesterol goes with this cardiac bone marrow delight--but no one in Bacolod is counting nor complaining.
rinabanana.wordpress.com

9.       Lord Byron’s Baby Back Ribs – So far, the best baby back ribs I’ve ever tasted. Last Friday, this smoky-flavored sauce-filled baby was my dinner. Yum!

10.   Twining’s Peppermint Tea – I don’t drink coffee, so tea is it for me. But my favourite is peppermint tea. Yeah, I think I’m one of those few weird people who love peppermint-flavored chocolates as well.

Yup, I'm covered for the whole Shingles season


So I have had lugaw (although only from Chow King), Bob’s chocolate cake, Pringles, Sharyn’s kansi, Lord Byron’s ribs, santol, and the peppermint tea. 7 out of 10. Not bad. I still have a week to wait for the others to come. Ohmmmmm….




Day 6 in Shingles Prison...Now I don't know how I would lose the poundage I've gain eating all these food, but who cares? I've the best excuse to eat up, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment