Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Best Friend's Wedding

With the brouhaha of Prince William and Kate’s wedding over, everybody focused on their flower girl who seemed to be upset at all the fuss. According to reports, she has had a lot of experience as a flower girl to royal brides. But the chaos was maybe too much for her--a wedding wasn’t supposed to be like this, right?
I had also my share of being a flower girl too often when I was small. I’m not sure whether because I was cute, or because my mother had a lot of relatives and friends who were getting married, and she shamelessly volunteered me. But I enjoyed being dolled up, because after all, a little girl needs to feel what it’s like to be a princess once in a while. So I always primly played the part of a perfect flower girl, thinking that one day, I would be that beautiful bride walking down the aisle.
Me at 5 years old

Movie Review:   My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997)

The Story:


Julianne and her best friend Michael made a pact in college that if they were not married by the time they reach 28 years old, they would marry each other instead. To her surprise, she received a call from Michael a few days before her 28th birthday telling her that he is to get married to some girl he met. Julianne willingly accepted Michael's offer to be their bridesmaid, in the hope that she could break off the wedding and make him fall in love with her again.
My Review:
Julia Roberts wasn’t the queen of romantic comedy for nothing. She was at her funniest (and bitchiest!) here. But although she’s the antagonist, I couldn’t help but side with her and pray that she would end up happily ever after with her best friend.

Trivia:
Julia Roberts hand-picked both Dermot Mulroney and Cameron Diaz for this film.


Sarah Jessica Parker was originally offered the role of Julianne Potter, but was not able to take the role because she was committed to HBO in order to play Carrie Bradshaw in the TV series "Sex and the City" (1998).

In the original ending, after watching Michael and Kimberly leave the wedding reception, Julianne meets a man (played by John Corbett). This ending did not test well and audiences wanted to see more of George, so a new ending was filmed.
 I wish we could group sing like this in restaurants...

No comments:

Post a Comment