Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Boracay Envy

Summer is officially over, yet I didn't even once go near any beach, or pool, for that matter. I wish I were a bikini babe. Then I would always be raring to go to Boracay. After two normal and one caesarean deliveries, that dream of strutting in a bikini has gone with the foamy waves forever. That's why I’m not too enthusiastic to go back to Bora. Sure, the white, powdery sand, and the clear emerald waters are reasons enough to frolic on its beach. But if you would be there only to cover your body with a sarong or a maxi dress, and you refuse to remove it, then there’s something totally wrong and lacking and sad in the picture.

Boracay 2008. Me wearing shorts. Tama ba 'yun?



In my time, when one wore a bikini, she was perceived as malaswa or worse, whore-ish. We were conservative and ashamed of our bodies then. Now, young people are proud of whatever shape they're in. Of course they also put in a lot of effort to make their figures bikini-ready. And when you are on a beach like Boracay, skimpy is the best way to go.

Now THIS is what I'm talkin' about!          
Now I'm turning green with envy:-(
My (3rd) niece Kat Mejino's pic of herself while she was suntanning on Bora.
(Courtesy of Kat Garcia Mejino)

But now it’s too late for me. The scars of motherhood can never be erased from my body. If I just had had the guts twenty or so years ago to defy the dictates of prude, prying eyes, then I would have been proud to say that, hey, I, too, was a bikini she-boom before. Too late, lola.

I’m going to the malls instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment