Saturday, August 20, 2011

Transforming the Boys

Not that I am complaining, but everything was really quite different when the Daughter was still here. With Issa, I can hold her hand while walking in the malls, while the boys seem to be uncomfortable walking side by side with their mom (e gusto ko, HH pa naman!). With Issa, I can take my time doing my shopping, while with the boys, I can only ‘window shop’ for 30 minutes tops. With Issa, we talk about anything, like actors, fashion, even about my work; but with my sons, the topic is limited to, “Have you brushed your teeth?” (or similar to that line).

I'm listening, m'boys!!
But hope is not all lost. Lately, the sons have no choice but to talk to me. Like with Paolo, my second, every afternoon when I pick him up from school, he makes a run-down of what he did for the day. He says, “Okay, now what did I do today worth telling you, Mom?” And then he tells me his activities for the day, his performance in school compared to others. He even quizzed me on some IQ questions one time in the car. (Yeah, that’s what fun means to him—hehehe!!!)  The other weekend, when Carlo came home, I asked him if he still plays basketball with his friends. He said yes, and he also started rambling about NBA teams and his favourite players. I didn’t even know that he is now interested (and knowledgeable!) in NBA in the first place. I have to brush up on who Wade and Dirk and Lebron are.

I have already watched three movies with just the Boys, (Pirates, Transformers, and HP7 Part2) and we have animatedly discussed the movie after. So I’m thinking that maybe there’s something good in not having Issa around all the time (sorry, Dawter!). I tend to concentrate too much on chatting with her because I was assuming that my sons are not willing to share their minds and hearts out to their mom.

Boy, was I wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment