Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A Toy Story


I can never forget that one Christmas time when I asked for a walking doll from Santa Claus. I wrote him a nice letter telling how good I was for the past year, and could he please give me a life-like doll as tall as me? To my disappointment, instead of granting my wish, he gave me a 3-inch Nora Aunor doll—in a Hawaiian grass skirt! In the name of fairness, the fat, white-bearded man also gave my three sisters the same dolls, in different colored grass skirts. I cried me a river for the disappointing gift on that Christmas eve, and my father comforted me saying that maybe Santa was in crisis that year. That’s when I realized that the red-suited guy must not have lived in the North Pole, for how could he have gotten La Aunor dolls there? Duh!!! 


                                           Movie Recall:   TOY STORY (1995)
The Story:
A little boy named Andy loves to be in his room, playing with his toys, especially his doll named "Woody". What Andy doesn’t know is that his toys come to life when he’s not around. Woody, the favourite toy and leader of the gang, is consumed with jealousy when a newcomer, Buzz Lightyear, becomes the new star of Andy’s room.  One thing leads to another when the two rivals find themselves lost. They have to find their way to Andy’s arms before the family moves to another house.
My Review:
When this movie came out, I already had two kids, but I was able to relate with the toy characters in the movie. I was transported to my happy childhood when my sisters and I used to put a voice in every doll and toy that we had. The movie was funny, witty, and most of all, it touched the very core of my innocent years.





Trivia:
What attracted To Hanks the role of Woody, was during his childhood he would always wonder if his toys were alive and moved around when nobody was in his room.
What attracted Tim Allen to the role of Buzz Lightyear, was before him they offered the role to his biggest influence in his career, Chevy Chase, who turned it down.
Billy Crystal was originally offered the chance to voice Buzz Lightyear, but declined. After seeing the finished film, he said the decision was the biggest mistake of his career. Upon learning this, Pixar offered Crystal the role of Mike in Monsters, Inc. (2001), which he readily accepted.
Pizza Planet was originally Pizza Putt, a combination pizzeria/mini-golf course.
Little Bo Peep was originally written to be a Barbie doll but Mattel declined the offer. After the success of the first film, Mattel agreed to have Barbie featured in the next films.
Hasbro denied Pixar the use of the name GI Joe when it was informed that a GI Joe doll was going to be blown up by Sid.

This is falling...with style!

No comments:

Post a Comment