Saturday, December 24, 2011

Samgyupsal Party

You can call me a safe eater. My taste buds are not as adventurous, although I’d like to think I try. I like durian, but I don’t like guyabano. I like penoy, but not balut. I like kinilaw and sushi, but not kalderetang kambing, and definitely not azusena (or to my Korean students, boshintang).

And I’m not into spicy food either. So everytime I am invited to eat at a Korean restaurant (which is inevitable since I’m working at a Korean-owned school, duh!), I turn into my safe mode and just order kimbab, the Korean version of the Japanese maki.

I’ve tried their other dishes though, and some food are similar to what we Pinoys eat, like their curry and  an afritada-like stew, and bulgogi (Korean barbecue). But I find the spicy ones least suitable to my taste, since it feels like the chili powder overpowers the unami flavor of the food (Unami can be interpreted as malinamnam in Pinoy lingo.)

Anyway, we had our annual Christmas party for the teachers last night, and our boss decided to hold it at a Korean restaurant this year, a samgyupsal party. He said that the dishes will not be as spicy. So here are some pictures of what we ate:





Samgyupsal (or bacon to me!)


Excuse me for being ignorant of the names of all the dishes. But may I say that I have never eaten so much bacon in my life! Ha ha!




Koreans are said to have the least obesity rate in the world (after Japan) because of the predominance of vegetables in their diet. So for those of you who have not tried Korean dishes, and you have the stomach for spicy food, then you should try it.


Thanks, David!

                               
Photo courtesy of: Erma Grace Sevilla
Merry Christmas, Vision!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment