Saturday, October 29, 2011

7 Scariest Movies to Watch this Halloween: A Scarefest!

So what are you going to do this long weekend? Are you going to be busy designing your kids’ Halloween costumes (Thank God, I’ve graduated from that!), or are you donning a costume yourself to attend a party? Of course, most people are heading towards the memorial parks or cemeteries to pay respects to their loved ones, but what about those who can't go, or don't want to go?

In my case, I’m here in Cebu to chillax with my family—those rare moments this year when we get to hang out together. Anyway, I’m not planning to shop till I drop since Christmas bonus is still a few weeks ahead. Maybe we will just hole up in the Hubby's pad, turn off the lights, and scare our nights away with my top 7 scariest movies of all time:



1.    The Exorcist (1973)– It’s not jumping scary. It’s disturbingly frightening. The idea of a 12-year old being possessed by a demon frightened me to death since I have near experiences of those when I was a kid. (Watch out for my Nov. 2 blog)



2.   The Omen (1976) – What is it about kids that if you put them in horror movies, it will unfailingly scare your brains out? Damien is said to be the anti-Christ because he was born with a 666 on his scalp. Beware, those who adopt kids. Beware, Brangelina!!!




3.   The Amytiville Horror (1979)– I remember watching this when we just newly transferred to our new house in Las Pinas. It gave me ideas of houses evil enough to possess the inhabitants to murder each other. Shudder!
4.   Poltergeist (1982)– This scared my mind for days. Again, the spirit adviser’s appearance and voice creeped me out since I had met a lot of them in my childhood. (See Nov. 2 blog)  After watching this film, I didn’t want to watch television alone at night for some time. Three of the movie’s stars untimely death led to the belief that Poltergeist was really a cursed movie.



5.    The Sixth Sense (1999)– The twist at the end of the movie compels you to watch the movie one more time. “I see dead people..”


6.   The Ring (2002)– The plot is so now. A mysterious cursed-ridden tape, once watched, will kill you in three days. Very similar to emails which will make you unlucky if you don’t send it to 100 people. But this time, the consequence is real. The image of the girl with her long hair in front of her face stuck with me a week after I watched it.




7.   Paranormal Activity (2007) – The idea that it is an amateur home-made video made it more effective in the tension department. Nowadays, we are consumed with reality TV shows that we could willingly believe that this one was made by the couple. It is scary because they could be us sleeping in our warm bed, but little do we know that something could be happening while we are sleeping. “I feel it. I feel it breathing on me.”

Shokot ko, teh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment