Monday, July 11, 2011

Love Me some Pre-loved

Some say that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Before, hand-me downs were frowned upon by people (especially my younger sisters when they inherited my old clothes). Nowadays, vintage clothing (to the syalan set), or ukay-ukay (to the masses) are as common as food stands in the mall. These shops are being raided now by office workers, teenagers, and those who are quirky enough to find one-of-a-kind treasure under that moth-ball smelling heap.  

I remember when I was working at Ginebra. Our calendar girl before was Aubrey Miles (when she was still a hot commodity) and she had to tour around the country to promote our products. Anyway, when she visited CDO, the first thing she asked Nino Palomo, my co-worker was, “Saan ang ukay-ukay dito?”  Why, even celebrities are ukay victims. See what I mean.

So I’m spilling the beans here. I admit. I go ‘pre-loved’ item shopping. Call it recycling. Call it being economical. Call it stingy fashion. You’d be surprised what still wearable items you could discover (the Daughter has a very good eye on this!). If you are lucky, you may even find branded items in the midst of the pile. As long as you don’t look ratty and don’t smell like a baul, I think it’s ok. Sabi nga nila, nasa nagdadala ‘yan. Just mix and match with your newer items, and you’re set to go.


           Php20(!) skirt + Zara blouse + Forever21 belt                       Php80 shirt + Maldita Leggings
                                 =Fab nautical look                                                        =Balmain coolness

Just make sure you remedy the malodorous what-nots with a generous helping of Downy Passion (and baking powder, just to be sure).

Shhh...don't tell anyone, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment