Monday, June 20, 2011

Poor Little Rich Girl

“I wanna be a billionaire…So freakin’ bad..”


Who can’t relate to this song? Who wouldn’t want money pouring out of your wallet, and buying everything you could ever dream of? Who wouldn’t want to live in a castle? Who wouldn't want a closet overflowing with Prada, Gucci, Vuittons, Choos, and Manolos?
But as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for.

My student in my first class was late the other day because she had to talk to her friend in Korea who had a problem. Her friend is unhappy for so many reasons in her life. (1) She is the manager of her father’s company, and she is being ignored by their employees; (2) She broke up with her boyfriend of 7 years because her parents didn’t approve of their relationship. You know, the classic rich girl-poor boy case; (3) Her father has been having affairs, and so her parents are not in talking terms anymore. What’s even worse is that her mother has tried everything to win his father back, like having a boob job and lots of facial plastic surgery, but to no avail. Aaah, like your typical tearjerker soap operas, huh? But this is happening in real life to my student’s friend, and perhaps to a lot of poor little rich kids in the world. What struck me was that her friend said that her family was happier when they were not rich. She wished that her family went back to their old financial status. At one point, she was even thinking of ending her life. So sad.

Simply happy.
UK Black Dress
(worn as a blouse)
Zara jeans
Rusty Lopez Wedges
My Daughter also told me about some of her wealthy classmates whose parents were so busy that they didn't see their kids in the house. So her classmates smoked and drank and did drugs, and yes, brought boys to their place.

I myself am wary of being rich. There are too many what if’s and maybe’s in my mind. Maybe if we were too rich, the Hubby would be too overconfident and charm 20-year old something girls. Maybe the kids wouldn’t study hard anymore, and think of spending their money on drugs and booze. Maybe our house would be too big but would be empty of family members staying in it. Or maybe I would have a boy toy? Or the worst case scenario, I would be friends with Paris Hilton. OMG, what am I thinking.

So now I know why I couldn’t win in the lotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment