Saturday, May 21, 2011

Huh? Cosplay?

Last April when I went to Manila to visit my family, I was expecting all my sisters to be complete when I reach our home in Las Pinas. However, I was a little disappointed when I heard that my sister Ben’s family was sleeping at Richmonde Hotel because my 13-year-old niece Patricia would join a cosplay conference at SM Megamall the next day. Huh? Cosplayers have conferences? What do they do there? Does Patricia know anybody there?

I sometimes don’t get kids nowadays.

So what is cosplaying? After some research, I found out that cosplay is a fusion of the words 'costume' and 'play' coined by a Japanese named Noboyuki Takahashi while attending the 1984 Los Angeles Science Fiction Worldcon. Cosplay is not your typical Halloween costume donning, because it is independent of any holiday or celebration. To the cosplayers, their goal is more of interpretation and role-playing. They aim to attempt to become one’s character, much like an actor attempts to characterize a role. The most popular characters they adopt are from the Japanese anime and manga, or from popular video games (For isn’t it lame to put on a Superman or Star Trek costumes nowadays?). When they are in their chosen costumes, they mimic their characters’ mannerisms and body language. Cosplayers often gather to share tips on costume-making, show off their creations, snap photos with fellow enthusiasts, and participate in contests.

Huh? I still don’t get it.
Patricia has been obsessed with cosplaying for quite some time now.
Ciel Phantomhive of the manga Kuroshitsuji (The Black Butler)


She saves her allowance money to have her costumes made.
Kairi of Kingdom Hearts


She buys wigs, contact lens, and accessories.
Miku Zatsune, the darker alter ego of Miku Hatsune (a vocaloid)

  She creates her own props like swords, guns, and what-have-you’s.
Sasuke Uchiha from Naruto

And of course, she takes megaloads of pictures to post on her FB page.

If you are an anime outsider like me, maybe you would also ask yourself why they waste their time and money on a hobby where they don't seem to get anything for it in return. Is it the excitement of creating the costumes and props? Is it the high they get when people approach them to have some snapshots taken with them? Or do they feel empowered by the character that they role-play? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

After some reflection though, I realized that we all choose our unique ways to express ourselves. Some people enjoy singing in karaokes. Some people shamelessly download their silly antics on Youtube. Some people relentlessly blog (guilty!). And some people cosplay.


I still may not get it until now, but hey, to each his/her own. Whatever makes you happy, Shangy!

No comments:

Post a Comment