Friday, February 25, 2011

Riding the Jeep with Kit

One of those things that I’m ignorant now is going around the city in the sasakyan ng bayan--the good ol’ jeepneys. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not pa-elitista or pasosyal. When I was living in Manila, I had my full share of the carbon monoxide sniff fix. Now that I am fortunate to drive my own rundown vehicle, I haven’t had the chance to be acquainted with the local basta-jeepney-driver-sweet-lovers and the ‘takatak’ boys. So I must say that I miss the misadventures of riding in jeeps.

Kit and I

Good thing that my BFT (bes fren titser), Katherine ‘Kit’ Monfort, is here to update me with the latest chika on jeepney rides. I think if there ever was someone to write ‘Riding the Philippine Jeepney: A Test of Survival’, it would be none other than Kit. Imagine this tisay, statuesque beauty sitting elbow to elbow with you, and hurling comments to the driver like, “Mama, larga na, kanina ka pa dito nakatambay ah!” Or  to those slow-riding kolehiyalas, she would clap her hands and urge them, “Faster, faster, go, go, goooo!!!” Or to suspicious-looking group of men, she would eye them like a hawk, and while pounding her umbrella, would blurt out, “Hayy, times are different. You can’t trust anybody these days!” Shameless Teacher Kit, her companions would laughingly say.
Speaking of her umbrella, she was able to put it in really good use, but not to ward off the rain, mind you. She had always been confident that she wouldn’t fall victim to a pickpocketer’s crawling hands... until that one fateful day. She was sitting on her favourite spot beside the driver, when a young man sat beside her. She noticed that while the man was looking out of the jeep, half of his bag was already on her lap. Knowing that this is one of the thieves’ techniques, her radar suddenly shot up. She stealthily glanced sideways, and lo and behold, the man’s right hand was slowly finding its way into her bag. “This is not happening to me, this isn’t happening to me,” she muttered to herself. With her heart hammering, she slowly got hold of her trusted umbrella, took a deep breath, and surprised the man by hitting him with it on his head---non-stop. “#@&*$#, oh my God! Snatcher! Mama, itabi n’yo ang jeep!” The manong driver confusingly halted the jeepney. Foiled and hurting, the rascal jumped off and ran as fast as his wobbly legs could carry him. Still not satisfied, she alighted after the thief ready to throw the umbrella at him. Major emergency averted---Wonder Kit saved the day! Classic!!!
So if you were to try your luck in the jungle of Bacolod riding a jeepney, look around you. You may be blessed to find my BFT Kit beside you…then and only then could you enjoy the ride and breathe a sigh of relief.
UK2 outfits, except the
Maldita necklace and
Promod Gladiators





1 comment:

  1. Yehey! :) Super Kit to the rescue! :D

    I can easily picture out T.Kit! :)

    ReplyDelete