Sunday, October 4, 2015

Two Heartbreaks on a Saturday

Let it be said that October 3, 2015 was the day when my heart got broken twice.

First was when the UP Pep Squad  was declared 2nd Runner up in the recently concluded UAAP Cheer Dancing Competition.

I was already squirmish when I heard they were opening the event. More often than not, the first contender doesn't win--unless, of course, you do something extraordinary that can be remembered until all the participants have performed. And boy, did UP deliver more than what I expected. They were almost perfect in their pyramids. Their dance routine was snappy, cool, in unison. The music was apt to their theme, Utak at Puso (UP, in case you missed that). By the end of their performance, when the electrically amplified UP Naming Mahal reverberated in the air, I had goosebumps creeping up my arms. And when they formed the human heart, I was teary-eyed. I was proud to have been an Iska. I was proud to be Pinoy. Where in the world can you find a cheer dance performance that could pull all those emotions?


But Lady Luck (or should I say the Cook?) looked another way. I'm not often bitter about losing. I see logic and reason when my bet doesn't bag the prize. But for heaven's sake, let's all be honest here, what did the judges see in the others that they didn't see in UP's stunt?

In the end, we know that every UP's performance in the Cheer Dancing Competition always sets the benchmark. Inaabangan. Hinahangaan. Pinag-iisipan. 'Nuf said.

The second heartbreak came later at night when Gilas Pilipinas bowed down to China at the 2015 FIBA Asian Championship. Honestly, I was prepared for the worst---biased officiating, noisy homecourt crowd, young fresh-legged giant Chinese players. But what the...? Forgetting to charge the electric bus they were assigned to ride to the game? Tickets were not available to the assistant coaches? Fixing the net during their warm-up practice? I didn't know China was that insecure! If that was not sabotage, then I don't know how you might call it. The Gilas was already at a clear disadvantage, but the organizers made sure that our team would be psychologically damaged even before the game started.

But Gilas Pilipinas fought valiantly just the same. Again, they played with this thing called Puso, and the whole Philippines is proud of them!

Photo from FIBA
Bitter na kung bitter. But two heartbreaks in a day? Isn't that too much for an old hag to bear? Hay, buti na lang may Kalyeserye sa Lunes.




No comments:

Post a Comment