Saturday, March 24, 2012

Paowee's Time

It's time for the Second to graduate high school. This is a big step for him since he is going to study in UP Diliman come June. When his Manang Issa asked him how he felt about this big change, his answer was he was scared. But he is looking forward to it with great expectation, because he said it was his choice.


Two weeks ago, I attended his recollection mass, and the parents were asked to read their palanca letters to their kids. When I was writing this letter the night before, I wasn't that emotional as when I read it to him. I didn't expect to cry. But I did. I guess in my heart, I'm happy and at the same time hesitant to let go of another child. 


Allow me to share with you my message for him.

Dear Pao…

Cliché or no cliché, I can really say that time really flies fast. Here you are, just two weeks shy from your graduation day. Wasn’t it just yesterday when you first stepped in at Lasalle? You’ve no doubt grown into a more matured Juan Paolo—smarter, more thoughtful, less aloof.


I think that you have become more open to me due to the forced circumstance that we were left alone in Bacolod. The ‘us’ time that we have during our trips to and from your school gives me a lot of time to know you more. You just don’t know how much happiness you give me every time that you tell me about your day’s activities, or when you find an interesting book and you share it with me, or when you sometimes ask me challenging trivia questions. These moments are precious to a mother like me. Thank you for opening up a little of your heart. Can you let me in a little bit more next time?

The most precious moments I remember with you are the smallest gestures that you do. Like when you say you will go with me to the grocery for no reason. Or when you ask me to go to the movies with you (although we haven’t found the right movie yet;-)). Or when you bring me buko juice or banana cue or anything from your canteen. But I will never forget that time when we came out from 888, and it was raining. You removed your barong, and handed it out to me to put over my head. I almost cried of elation. I thought, well now,my baby is now a man.

I’m not saying though that there is no room for more hopes and wishes for changes and improvement. Believe me, there are still a lot that you need to learn that Dad and I want to tell you. Yes, I scold you at times (who else is here, right?), but know that it is because I care for you and I am molding you to be a better man for the future of our family. You are precious to us, Pao. To Dad. To Manang. To Carlo. Especially to me. Please remember that.



As you embark on your next step towards the open and free space—Manila, UP, college—I pray that all the values that we have taught you (and we’ll be teaching you in summer!) will all be remembered and practiced by you. We may not be there with you as you go through that most important phase in your life, but if you would look into the deep recesses of your heart, I’m certain that you would always find us guiding you all the way to your dreams.


We love you, dear Paowee. You will always be my sweet and thoughtful Paowee.

Love you much,
Mom and Dad






                           Congratulations, Pao! I know you will continue making us proud.

2 comments:

  1. Premz,naiyak ako... congratulations to you and Tata for the good guidance that you have shown Paulo.Imay not have meet himpersonally but I know he is good lad.Congratulations to Paulo as well and a BIG ood luck for him for I know it wouldn't be easy to be away from you and for this next big step that he is going to take! Well done for him and to you both! i miss you ,Premz<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. iyakin ka talaga, ning!!! hahahah!!! pero, oon nga, kasi iba ang feeling ng nanay, di ba? miss you too, premz!

    ReplyDelete