Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lucid Dreaming

I am freaking out.


Remember my story about my nightmare? Well, it happened again. And this time, the dream has gotten longer and I was able to walk around. 


It happened two nights ago. I opened my eyes and saw my room, but I knew I wasn't awake. I knew I was dreaming. I was telling myself, "Oh no, not again!" I didn't see any bad elements, thank God, so I was not that afraid. But I didn't want to be in this dream state, so I started to pray. But then I still couldn't wake up. I willed myself to stand up, and I was surprised that I was able to. I wanted to go to Paolo's room to wake him up and tell him to sleep with me in my room. It was dark, so I kind of groped my way to his room. I opened his door, saw him lying on the bed, and tried to wake him up. But he wouldn't, no matter how hard I shouted. I realized that it was futile waking him up because he couldn't hear me. I frustratingly went back to my room and lay down on my bed again. After a few seconds, I felt I woke up. I went back to sleep, but the dream continued. This time, I stood up again, and went down the stairs. I saw my helper downstairs, but she didn't see me. Then I really woke up. It was about 3:10 in the morning. I chose not to sleep anymore, and researched about my experience on the net.


Some things I found out:


1. This wasn't astral projection, or an out-of-body experience (OBE) because I didn't see my body on the bed when I came back to my room.


2. This wasn't somnambulism, or sleepwalking because sleepwalkers usually don't remember what they did during their dream.


3. This was what dream experts and psychiatrists call lucid dreaming. It is the state when one is actually aware that he is in a dream. This has been researched scientifically, and its existence has been well-established. When someone is in a lucid dream state, the dreams seem vivid and real. Some can even control and manipulate their dreams to make them more suited to the dreamer's wants, although not every lucid dreams are pleasant. 


4. I found out that some people actually want to develop this skill of lucid dreaming, believing that they can rehearse success in their waking life. They enhance their power of mind by imagery, so they say. They can overcome nightmares. Or they believe they can facilitate physical healing by dreaming about it.


I don't know about those people who want to develop this "power", but I want nothing of it. 
Please, God, can I just be an ordinary dreamer?


No comments:

Post a Comment