Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oh, My Papa!

I was always my father’s favourite…or so I claim. Not only because I look more like him (I used to deny this), but because I have shared a lot of memorable moments with him alone.
He was my first tutor in English. Okay, I admit now that most of my compositions in my elementary years were dictated by him (cheater, you would say?). It was he who taught me the basics on how to write an effective essay.  Funny, but now, the Four Wicked Sisters (that includes me!) often laugh at how our father mispronounces some words and makes grammar mistakes; when in fact, he gave us our first lessons in grammar (ingrates!)
He was the one who instilled in me the love for reading. He made us, the kids, line up during our elementary days, and read out loud to him one nursery story each. Even when I was already in high school, I used to read him books at night, while he was under the hood fixing his car. It didn’t matter what book it was. I even read to him Gary Lising’s joke book You Could Die Laughing (see? I still remember).
We were close as a father and a daughter could get. That is, until I had my first love. Of course he was jealous . One time when he saw my suitor walking up our street to our house while we were riding in his car.  He reversed the car and went the other way. I knew he never liked me to fall in love yet. So when I got heartbroken, he didn’t tell me, I told you so. Instead he gave me a warm hug and some pep talk to cheer me up. He said he just couldn’t bear to see me sad.

Growing up, I have always looked up to my father. But as I realized, he is just human. There was a moment in my life that I resented him. How could my father be imperfect after all these years that I thought of him as my hero? Slowly though, I came to reconcile the facts from the myths, for aren’t we all flawed in our own ways? However, these can’t replace the truth that he has been an understanding, supportive, and loving father to all five of us.


He may not be the perfect man or husband, but he will always be the perfect father for me.  Happy 72nd, Papa!!!

2 comments:

  1. Teach, pina-iyak mo ako.. Hehehe! :D Happy birthday to your dad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ako nga rin naiiyak everytime i read this..hehehe! thanks, aiz!

    ReplyDelete