Friday, March 11, 2011

Spare us, O Lord

Just yesterday in a group class with my Korean students, our topic was “Polar Ice Melting”. One of the effects we discussed was the rising sea level which could eventually cover up countries in the future. One student joked that he wished that it covered Japan because he hates the country. (Korea was colonized by Japan in WWII).  I shushed him not to pray for a horrible thing like that, although I know he didn’t really mean to say it.
Today, I saw the images of what happened in Japan on CNN. The biggest earthquake the country has experienced in 140 years--8.9 in magnitude. A giant tsunami gulping the Sendai region. First, I was shocked. Then, I saw that the Philippines and other countries in the Pacific could be affected by the aftermath. Next reaction: panic. My family members are in four different places right now. The Hubby is in Cebu. My youngest is in Iloilo (in PhilSci). My eldest is sleeping over at her classmate’s house somewhere in Mountain View. And my second and I are in the house. It suddenly occurred to me that in times like these, I just wanted us all to be together. Whatever happened, at least we’d be together. But we aren’t now. So I snapped and called The Hubby, then Carlo, then Issa. I was crying---no, more of bawling. I blabbered how much I wanted to see us all safe in our house and be together. The Hubby was reassuring, he understands my emotional roller coaster. But the kids freaked out and didn’t know how to react to my sob/stutter/sniffs combo. They didn’t dare laugh at me that time, which they usually do when I cry over trivial things like sad, gooey movies or American Idol. They know when not to cross their crazy mother.
After my calls, my daughter texted me:



















Of course, I'm still afraid. But after talking to them, I feel a little bit better.






My sister Mylene texted me this:
"Spare us O Lord from the threat of strong earthquake and tsunami. We lift our safety unto your loving arms & shield us from destruction. We ask this in the name of Jesus thru the intercession of Mother Mary. Amen!"

Special prayer to my friends and their families in Tokyo:
Teresa Cuevas, Novena Crisostomo, Linda Parino,
Arlene Arzadon-Maruyama's hubby.
May they be all safe in Jesus' arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment