Sunday, March 20, 2011

Maybe the Old Songs

One of the more difficult skills that Korean students find hard to master is listening. They often ask me how they could become better at listening. I tell them that the most fun way to improve on listening is by watching movies and listening to songs. In this age of the internet, all the young people have to do is to search for the lyrics of the song, and voila, instant karaoke!
During my hey time, I learned all the lyrics of the songs the hard way. I had to use our trusty cassette player and painfully transcribe the words of the songs line by line, while pressing the play-stop-rewind buttons again and again. Most of the time I got it, but sometimes I missed the correct lyrics and just improvised. (Case in point: Issa: “Mom, why did you sing to me, “Tiny bubbles, in ‘Hawaii’”, when it should be in ‘the wine’?” Sorry, tao lang poh!) But still, I was able to get what I want-- sing the popular songs to my heart’s content. In the process, my listening skills improved. Talk about kapit sa patalim!

Now, it pains me to memorize new songs. I would understand if I can’t remember rap, K-pop,  or Miley Cyrus’ songs,  they are a bit fast for my addled memory. But it frustrates me that I have a hard time recalling lyrics of ballad songs, no matter how long I repeatedly listen to them. Is it my forty-year-old-plus brain, or don't the songs of today grip people’s hearts anymore?  Where are the likes of the 80’s songs of Spandau Ballet and Tears for Fears? Where are the love songs of James Ingram and Barry Manilow? Better yet, where are the OPM classic croonings of Basil, Hajji, APO Hiking, Kuh, Gary, and Martin? Sure these singers are now considered as has-beens by the MTV generation, but I believe their music is timeless. Their melodies can still make you smile, cry, or fall in love. Oldies but goodies. Why do you think a lot of new artists revive the old songs of this bygone era?



Here I go again trying to re-live my glorious past. Goes to show how old I am. No, at some point, I have to let go. I’ll try to bridge the gap of my generation and my kids at least through music, so I could relate to what they are discussing during dinner. 




So, excuse me while I listen and memorize Parokya ni Edgar’s “Ordertaker”.
                                                      (Postscript: Waaahh! Is this even a song?”)

2 comments:

  1. Amen! :) Sometimes, I think I was born in the wrong decade. I don't "get" the music nowadays :D hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hirap kaya mag-sing along sa songs ngayon! hehehe!!

    ReplyDelete